Sunday, April 11, 2010

Rescue Remedy

I had a really bad weekend. Well, it wasn't all bad, but for someone who is generally spreading sunshine everywhere I go, and always seeing the bright side of everything, the silver lining in every cloud, etc...well, "Into every life a little rain must fall," I guess.

The good news is that someone else took their turn to spread the sunshine into my life, and I was most grateful to get it. I was feeling pretty alone, but I checked my Facebook news feed; and there was Thich Nhat Hanh with his hand held out and ready to give me a lift. He had shared a prayer from his blog "Touching the Earth // Guided meditations from the Thich Nhat Hanh book 'Touching The Earth.' ". When I clicked the "Play" button on the sound file, a tone sounded, and then he began the guided meditation. It was generally about how the Earth has the capacity to absorb everything back into itself, to rescue human beings from bad "places" or states. At the sound of the tone I immediately felt myself focus and begin to calm. Then I was able to listen to the words. I was more relaxed, calm and at peace than at any other time during this "bad" weekend. I was (and am) extremely grateful to Thich Nhat Hanh for being there (if only in cyberspace) at precisely the moment I needed to be "rescued" from my bad mood.

Who is Thich Nhat Hanh? He is a Thien Buddhist of the Lâm Tế Dhyana (Linji Chanzong) of Buddhism, and founder of the Order of Interbeing. I learned of him through his wonderful book, "Living Buddha, Living Christ," in which he helps us to understand how Buddhists and Christians are essentially after the same things. (It's a good read. I highly recommend it.)

Some (perhaps many) Christians would start praying for my salvation at this point, since I'm taking prayers and advice from a Buddhist. But they would be misguided. In the 9th book of Mark, verses 38-40, John is all upset because he's seen someone casting demons out of people in Jesus' name, "but I told him not to, because he doesn't follow us." Jesus tells John not to forbid anyone to do good in his name, whether he follows Jesus or not, because doing good for others is a worthy pursuit, and it does the cause of Jesus and his followers no harm.

This is exactly the sort of connection Thich Nhat Hanh makes in his book, "Living Buddha, Living Christ"; and it's exactly the sort of kindness that Thich Nhat Hanh did for me this evening. There were no Christians around when I needed to have my "demons" cast out, but Thich Nhat Hanh was available, and he got the job done. Now I am back in the center of the narrow way, calm and peaceful, able to focus on what's important, thanks to a Buddhist monk. I prayed along with the meditation and felt the peace that passes all understanding. I am certain that Jesus doesn't mind a bit that it wasn't someone from Church who performed this service for me.

Today I was reminded by a Buddhist to thank God for rescuing me; and that there is always help, sometimes from places we least expect to find it. I am grateful for Thich Nhat Hanh, and I am grateful for the words of Jesus in Mark that remind us that we are all connected. Life is good, and I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment